Meet LIT graduate Freddy Weber
From June 27-July 22, Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center held a program called Leaders in Training (LIT) for 16–17-year-old high school students to learn how to become leaders in the camp setting and in ministry. Click here to learn more about the LIT program.
Sixteen-year-old Freddy Weber was one of them. Freddy has been immersed in the Christian camp experience his whole life. His father, David Weber, Jr. is the site director at Casowasco. Freddy was born in Arizona, then lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida before moving to Casowasco. Freddy’s older sister and both parents were LITs in North Carolina.
Freddy said, “Camp helps me build a relationship with God more than anything else. It’s great having people around you with same beliefs and who you feel comfortable sharing your feelings with."
Here are some of Freddy’s reflections on LIT training in his words:
- Hanging around these guys has been great. Since the very beginning when we signed our covenant, we feel mutually respected.
- My favorite part was sailing. It’s one of my favorite things to do and I’m good at it. I’ve been sailing since I was 11 or 12. I liked helping people who have never done it before. It’s so cool that I get to be with my friends and teach them something.
- This whole experience has been very fun. I know that I am never going to forget it. It has changed me in a positive way, spiritually. I’m a lot closer to myself…I feel that I am better able to connect with people. I feel more at ease. I have learned that I am a very caring and welcoming person.
- I feel eager to participate in leadership roles now. I feel that I will be able to take charge of projects as well as responsibility of my life.
- You go to Chapel every day, which is life-changing!
- I was impressed by how in-depth the training was.
- I am going to miss this so much. The LIT training is worth it!
Freddy had an excellent experience as an LIT and was one of the three LITs who earned lifeguarding certification.
Congratulations Freddy on your LIT graduation!