mission / UNY Mission Central HUB
Red Bird Mission
Red Bird Mission was born as an answer to a prayer. Founded in 1921, the Red Bird Mission began in the southeastern corner of Kentucky to provide education and Christian evangelism ministries to residents of that area. It is a poverty-relief organization. The Upper New York Conference has participated in the shoebox mission for several years.
In December of 2020, two volunteers from Upper New York drove a 26-foot truck to the mission in Kentucky. They transported over 2800 shoeboxes, more than 100 sheet sets and bedspreads, as well as numerous books, school supplies, and cleaning supplies. This year, the need is even greater. The goal in 2021 is to transport at least 3,600 shoeboxes and other supplies the first week of December.
The Red Bird Mission Team needs your help. This year we need to rent a vehicle for our pick-ups, which is an added expense for this mission. We encourage churches to bring their shoeboxes and other items to one of these locations by the deadline listed below:
- Upper NY Conference Center: 7481 Henry Clay Blvd., Liverpool, NY (Deadline for drop-off is Wednesday, November 17)
- Endwell UMC, 3301 Watson Blvd., Endwell, NY (Deadline for drop-off is Wednesday, November 24)
You will find additional drop-off sites in local districts below with a deadline for drop-offs of Tuesday, November 16th.
- South Glens Falls UMC, 15 Maplewood Pkwy., South Glens Falls, NY
- Calvary UMC, 15 Ridge Place, Lathom, NY
- Ripley UMC, 84 West Main St., Ripley, NY
Genesee Valley District
- Rush UMC, 6200 Rush Lima Rd., Rush, NY
- Aloquin-Flint UMC, 2760 State Route 5-20, Stanley, NY 14561
Niagara Frontier District
- Asbury UMC, 850 Dodge Rd., Getzville, NY
- Portlandville UMC, 2878 Hwy Rte. 28, Portlandville, NY
The following is a list of additional drop-off sites:
- Whiteface UMC, 1169 Haselton Rd., Wilmington, NY
- New Milford UMC, 69 Pratt St., New Milford, PA
Also, arrangements to have items picked up can be made by e-mailing Dave Alexander from Endwell UMC at Dalexander4@stny.rr.com. Organizers are looking for churches in the Upper New York Conference that are willing to be collection sites for their respective districts. If your church is willing to be a collection site, please e-mail Dave and your district office.
There are two types of shoeboxes being collected this year. All items should be placed in a clear, plastic shoebox-sized storage container with a locking lid and label with the intended recipient (man, woman, boy, or girl). Please do not wrap the containers.
- Adult shoeboxes: comb or brush, shampoo, hand lotion, deodorant, a toothbrush and toothpaste, chapstick, a full size bar of soap, a washcloth, disposable razors, shaving cream, nail care supplies, socks, a pair of work gloves or mittens, and a winter hat or scarf.
- Children shoeboxes: two or three small toys, two or three items needed for school, a comb or brush, shampoo, hand lotion, a child’s toothbrush and toothpaste, chap stick, a bar of soap, a washcloth, a small flashlight, socks, a pair of mittens, and a winter hat. Christian bookmarks, wristbands, and other spiritual items are also appreciated.
The mission also needs new pillows, new bedspreads, new sheet sets, and new blankets for full and twin beds, and new bath towels. Used sheets, blankets, and towels cannot be sent. Books, school supplies, and new backpacks are also in need, as well as cleaning supplies.
Click here to read the full letter from Dave Alexander. If you have additional questions, contact Dave at (607) 743-8955 or Endwell UMC at (607) 754-5735.