OUTWARD! ’18—an amazing experience for hundreds of UNY youth
April 24, 2018 / By Kristian J. Snyder, CCYM Member
Hundreds of youth and adults from across Upper New York came together in Liverpool, NY for OUTWARD! ‘18, held on April 13-15 at the Liverpool Holiday Inn. There were over 275 youth and adults who joined the 40 CCYM members who planned and organized the event. There were 35 youth groups, from all 12 districts, in attendance.
The event was named OUTWARD! because of its outward-focused emphasis on mission work. Over one-third of the attendees participated in assembling UMCOR health kits (717 of them!) and 350 school kits. This work was completed at UNY Mission Central HUB at the UNY United Methodist Center.
In addition to the hands-on mission work, the weekend included 10 workshops on Saturday. The guest preacher at the worship services was Michael Jordan, Dean of the Chapel at Houghton College. The band “SameCity” joined us again for another year of wonderful and exciting worship music for the weekend.
Some Saturday Workshops:
- “Peace with Justice” led by Heather Smith. In this workshop you got to learn how to seek justice, walk humbly, and love kindness.
- “Mission of Peace” led by the Youth who attended the most recent MOP trip to Cuba. This workshop allowed you to hear stories and see pictures from the experience.
- “College Transition” led by Michael Jordan. In this workshop youth got to explore the joys and struggles of going from high school to college.
- “Be Heard!” lead by Robin Blair. This workshop youth got to join Common Good Radio in digitally recording and sharing a piece of scripture on a podcast.
Some Sunday Morning Options:
- “Yoga” led by Mary Anderson
- “Prayer Labyrinth with Prayer Stations” led by Tony Hipes
- “Study & Writing” led by Cory Jones. In this workshop youth and adults learned how to write devotions and study devotions better.
Each evening was ended by eight late night options, for youth to take part in and have fun before going to their rooms for the night. The weekend was full of laughter, joy, renewal, music, prayer, spiritual growth, and fun times with other youth, due to the wonderful worship speakers, great missions work, and workshop and late-night options leaders.