A Reflection of UpWord! 2k17
April 4, 2017 / By Kristian J. Snyder, CCYM Member 2017-2018
Hundreds of youth and adults from all across Upper New York came together in Liverpool, N.Y.for UpWord! 2k17. UpWord! 2k17 was held on March 31 - April 2 at the Liverpool Holiday Inn. There were over 300 youth and adults who joined the 57Conference Council on Youth Ministries (CCYM) members who planned and organized the event. There were a total of 35 youth groups from 10 different districts in attendance. The weekend included 15 workshops on Saturday, and five workshops on Sunday. The weekend also had four worship experiences planned by the CCYM Worship Team. Worship speakers were four young adults and former members of CCYM - JJ Warren, Krystal Cole, Marthalyn Sweet, and Jefferson Dedrick.
Here is a sampling of some of the workshops:
Some Saturday Workshops:
- “God is in Devotion” was led by Mary Anderson. This workshop helped us understand the question, What is devotion?
- “God is Organized” was led by Betsy O’Flynn. We learned how to live our life organized with God’s help
- “God is Mingling” was led by Sue Russell. In this workshop we got to know other people in different youth groups.
- “God is Speaking” was led by Carol Doucette. In this workshop, we prayed and had a two-way conversation with God.
Some Sunday Workshops:
- “God in the Bible” was led by Beckie Sweet She delved into the Bible and taught how to apply it to our normal life.
- “God is calling” was led by the Board of Ordained Ministry. In this, we found out what we are called by God to do in our own life.
- “God is walking the Labyrinth” was led by Tony Hipes. In this, we prayed while walking in the footsteps of Jesus.
Each evening was brought to an end by eight late-night options that all youth took part in and had fun before going to their rooms for the night. The weekend was full of laughter, joy, renewal, music, prayer, spiritual growth, and fun times with other youth, due to the wonderful worship speakers, workshop leaders,and the people who led late night options each night. Click here to see some photos of Saturday’s worship, workshops, and lunch.