about / Finance
2017 Ministry Shares Allocation
A Ministry Share is a pro-ration of Conference and General Church budgets among the local churches based on an established formula. Ministry Share components relate directly to the Categories on the Annual Conference Budget.
The two primary categories that the Upper New York Annual Conference budget is currently segregated into are:
- General Connectional Ministry
- Conference Connectional Ministry
Conference Connectional Ministry is further divided into:
- Conference Benevolences
- Ministerial Support
- Conference Administration Ministry
GENERAL CONNECTIONAL MINISTRY
This section of the budget contains the General and Jurisdictional Church apportionments for our Annual Conference which are:
- World Service
- Ministerial Education
- Black College
- Africa University
- General Administration
- Interdenominational Cooperation
- Northeastern Jurisdiction
The General Church and the Jurisdiction determine the amounts for each Annual Conference. These amounts must be budgeted at 100% in the Annual Conference budget each year.
CONFERENCE CONNECTIONAL MINISTRY
The funding/budgets for all of the activities under the leadership of the Annual Conference are captured in this section.
- Conference Benevolences - All of the programmatic activities, mission teams and committees focused on carrying out the specifics of our Vision and Purpose are funded under this section.
- Ministerial Support - The structure of The United Methodist Church as provided by the Book of Discipline and other Conference needs requires and allows various funds and organizational structures necessary:
- to provide support to our local churches and appointed pastors through the District office, the Cabinet of the Annual Conference and through Equitable Compensation funds;
- to provide support to current and retired clergy and persons studying to become clergy through the Conference Leadership Structure, the Board of Ordained Ministry, Sustentation and Moving Expense funds
- to provide support to our presiding Episcopal office under Bishop Mark Webb.
- to plan for funding the General and Jurisdictional Travel expenditures of Annual Conference delegates to attend General and Jurisdictional Conferences.
Conference Administration Ministry - The work of the Upper New York Annual Conference also includes the important components of any viable and vibrant business operation including Communications, Computer Services, Benefits and Personnel, Finance, Office Operations, and other Administrative activities. These various nuts and bolts departments, which are funded in this component of the total Annual Conference budget, form the foundations of the business operations necessary to, not only support, but to help us make successful the missions and ministries funded in the Conference Benevolences section. These operations also provide the structures needed to meet the demands of the Ministerial Support activities.
The budgets of the Upper New York Annual Conference are based upon an assumption that all local churches might not meet their ministry share obligation at 100%. However, if this level of funding is not achieved by the Annual Conference, all areas of the budget will be negatively and proportionately impacted. However, just as the Vision of the Upper New York Annual Conference is fresh and new and comes from a process of discernment, faith and discernment around giving also informs us that meeting the 100% mark of ministry share giving can truly be achieved.