Darryl Barrow, firstname.lastname@example.org
Elder in Full Connection
Current Appointment: Conference Superintendent, Crossroads District
Year of initial membership in the United Methodist Church: 2007
Why do you feel you are called to serve as a delegate to General/Jurisdictional Conferences? I offer myself as a General Conference candidate as someone as I offer leadership at all levels of the church. Mywork as a team leader of The Connectional Table of The UMC affords me the opportunity to work at the systemic and organizational changes that affects new ways of being and doing church. Some of the CT initiatives with general agencies continue to develop creative ways to sustain vital congregations, and nurture clergy and lay leadership that relate to the cultural realities around the world. Therefore, as a delegate I would offer to holy conferencing the voice, vote and vision, and the leadership abilities to help our church carve a new path by:
- developing leaders for all ages.
- providing formational enterprises for young people and their leaders; connecting young people and young adults to build a more vibrant denomination of Christian leaders.
- creating grace margins and being truly an open and affirming Church for all people, especially for those of us who have had our own experiences with marginality – and know what it feels like to be the outsider. The challenge for our Church comes in making room for anyone perceived as an outsider. This vital Christian challenge needs grace – God’s grace as the buffer zone between our own fears and wanting to “feel safe.” These are challenging times for our denomination about a vision for the church that affords us a Christ-centered, Spirit-filled conversation and action plan that challenges us to embody discipleship for our time.
What other information would you like the Conference to consider as they prayerfully discern who to elect to the delegation for General/Jurisdictional Conferences?
Membership: Between the Caribbean Methodist Church and The UMC - 27 years
2007 - First clergy elected to 2008 GC
2008 - Lead Delegate to 2008 Genera/NEJ
2008-present - Member - UMC Connectional Table
- Team leader CT Leadership Discernment & Community Life
- serving on the CT Executive
2009-present - NEJ Urban Ministry Network
2005-09 - Director of Spiritual Leadership (NCNY)
- working with BOM
- School of Christian Missions Study Leader 2007, 2010 & 2012
Member, BMCR (National & NEJ)
Member, MFSA (National & UNY)
2000-04 - Chaplain, North Georgia Conference Multi-cultural Youth Choir (CANTEMOS)
2000 - Exploration Group Leader & Worship Planning Team, Dallas TX
1992-94 - Secretary, District Committee on Ministry (Jamaica District - MCCA)
1989-91 - District Coordinator of Youth/Young Adults Ministries (Jamaica)
1988 - MCCA Rep to World Council of Churches, Guelph, Canada
1988-99 - pastoral appointments in local churches (small, medium and large).