2018 Annual Conference Registration Guidelines
Registration for the Annual Conference is scheduled to open on Thursday, March 1, 2018 via the on-line form at unyumc.org or by requesting a paper registration form and mailing it along with full payment to:
Attn: Annual Conference Registration
7481 Henry Clay Blvd.
Liverpool, NY 13088
Requests or Questions? Call Erica Wentworth at (315) 898-2004.
HOUSING DURING ANNUAL CONFERENCE: THE DEADLINE FOR HOUSING RESERVATIONS IS SUNDAY, APRIL 29, 2018.
Housing arrangements can be made through the Syracuse Convention Bureau’s Housing Service either through their on-line system or by mailing a completed housing form to them. See the housing form for additional information. They can assist you with the hotel reservation process. You may also choose not to use the Housing Bureau and to make your own arrangements. However, room rates cannot be guaranteed if you do not use the Housing Service.
Youth wishing to room with other youth attendees should NOT use the Housing Service and should not complete a housing form. They are to contact Judy Hipes at (607) 624-2145 or by email at email@example.com. Betsy O’Flynn is coordinating rooms at the Parkview Hotel which will be used primarily to house youth and youth adults. You can contact Betsy at (585) 340-9525 ext. 1 or by email at GeneseeValleyDistrict@unyumc.org.
Things you need to know to use the Housing Bureau Service and about housing, in general, are:
- If you wish to room with another attendee, you will need to determine who that person will be before you do your housing registration. The Housing Bureau staff and Conference Office staff will NOT be matching attendees for rooming.
- If you plan on sharing a room with other attendees or visitors, only ONE of the persons in the room should complete a housing registration form. That person will need a credit card to reserve the room. That person should also identify all individuals staying in the room on the housing registration form.
- The room costs vary depending upon where you select to stay. You may or may not get your first selection. This will depend upon availability.
- Clergy retirees, those on medical leave, and equalization members are also asked to make their own room reservations directly with the Housing Bureau. After Annual Conference has concluded, equalization members, retirees, and those on medical leave may request reimbursement for their portion of the room cost (50%), up to $50 per night before taxes, up to 3 nights per clergy retiree, person on medical leave, or equalization member by submitting a Reimbursement Request Form and actual receipts for your completed stay to the Treasurer’s Office immediately following the AC event. To meet the housing reimbursement deadline, the form must be mailed and postmarked by Monday, July 16, 2018 or received at the Conference Office by 4pm on Monday, July 16, 2018. This year, there will be no exceptions to the deadline date. You may also request a hard copy of the reimbursement form from Erica Wentworth by calling (315) 898-2004. Any housing reimbursements received after this time will not be refunded. (Click the link above for the Reimbursement Request Form, download, and save to your computer in order to fill it out electronically.)
Those retirees, persons on medical leave, and equalization members rooming alone or with a spouse will be expected to pay the additional room costs over the allotted $50 per night covered by the Conference.
- Rates and rooms are not held for UNY Conference attendees beyond April 29th. Therefore, it is important that all reservations using the Housing Bureau and our negotiated rates be made by the registration closing date. Reservations through the Housing Bureau will only be taken through 11pm on Sunday, April 29, 2018.
- The person reserving the room will be able to check with the hotel for a confirmation number approximately three (3) weeks after acknowledgement by the Housing Bureau is received.
- It is the responsibility of the person reserving the room to obtain a completed and signed tax exemption form from their affiliated church to avoid sales tax on your room. The individual also is responsible to notify the hotel of the tax exemption form in advance of arriving to avoid any complications. If there is no affiliation with a church, sales tax will have to be paid by the individual. Sales tax is not reimbursable from the Conference.
- The Conference Office does not take or make the reservations and does not accept payment for rooms. If you have questions regarding housing, please direct those questions to Christie Bravos at the Housing Bureau by calling (315) 470-1842.
REGISTRATION FOR ANNUAL CONFERENCE WILL CLOSE AT 11PM ON SUNDAY, APRIL 29, 2018.
The next opportunity after this date to register will be at the Annual Conference registration table. All on-site registrations at the Annual Conference Session are increased by $50 (same as previous years).
Specific Instructions: All items marked with a * on the form must be completed.
Name, email address, postal address, and daytime telephone contact numbers: We would like at least two phone numbers where we might be able to reach you during the day if there are questions regarding your registration.
Gender, ethnicity, and age: These are necessary demographics used to help evaluate and describe our Annual Conference.
Church and District: Please indicate the church to which you are appointed as clergy or at which you attend as laity. If, as clergy, you are appointed to more than one church, please identify just one of the churches. Visitors please identify your church, if applicable. Please select your District from the list provided.
Registration fee section: You must select one category which reflects your relationship to the Annual Conference. The individuals that should be using this form are clergy, lay members to Conference, equalization members, retirees, visitors, Cabinet, staff and Sessions Team. If you are uncertain as to your status and relationship to the Conference, you should contact your District Superintendent, or you may seek assistance from Erica Wentworth in the Conference Office at (315) 898-2004.
- Clergy – Includes active elders, provisional and associate members, deacons, and licensed local pastors.
- Clergy - Retired and Clergy on Medical Leave: Please identify if this category applies to you.
- Visitor- To obtain registration materials and to sit in the Annual Conference sessions as an observer requires registration as a visitor. Individuals coming to Annual Conference with no assigned role have no voting privileges.
- Clergy Spouse- Spouse of a clergy person attending Annual Conference.
- Lay Member – Lay person chosen by your charge/church conference as the church member to Annual Conference.
- Equalization member – Conference Position: Lay persons serving on certain Conference committees, boards, agencies, teams, and task forces are eligible to serve as ex-officio equalization members. Only those individuals contacted by the Director of Connectional Ministries are eligible to serve in this capacity. A list of all ex-officio equalization members will be kept in the Conference Office to verify appropriate registration.
- Equalization member – at-Large: Lay persons invited by their District Lay Leader and District Superintendent may serve as at-large equalization members to Annual Conference in the current year. No church charge may have more than one at-large equalization member.
Clergy/Laity Sessions: Please let us know if you plan to attend:
- Clergy Session: Wed., May 30, 2018, 7:00pm, Onondaga Community College, Allyn Hall Gym, Syracuse, NY
- Laity Session: Wed., May 30, 2018, 7:00pm, Onondaga Community College, SRC Arena, Syracuse, NY
Extension Ministry Luncheon: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, Onondaga Community College between 11:45am – 3:00pm. Attendees are only those appointed to an extension ministry and not yet retired. Attendance is by invitation only. If you are appointed to extension ministry, get invited, and plan to attend, please indicate.
Retirement and Ordination Dinner: Friday, June 1, 2018, Onondaga Community College at 5:30pm; by invitation only. Details will be included in the invitations.
Dietary Restrictions: PLEASE REVIEW THE MENU HERE. We hope that you will be able to choose meals that meet your dietary restrictions. We have consulted with a chef/clergy person to design menus, within our financial constraints, to address gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, heart healthy/allergies and diabetic diets. Indicate in this area either general or specific dietary needs that need to be communicated to Onondaga Community College.
Hands on Mission: Mike Block, Conference Director of Missional Engagement, will work with the various organizations in determining mission opportunities. TBD for the 2018 Annual Conference.
Childcare: If you are registering for Annual Conference and have children (ages up to 12 years) for whom you need childcare during any of the time of the Conference Session, please indicate the need on your registration form. Please be specific with your request, including number of children in each age category and periods of time needed. DUE TO SPACE RESTRICTIONS, THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF SPOTS FOR CHILDCARE AVAILABLE. Spots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is no charge for child care, but your Annual Conference registration must be submitted and paid in full to complete your registration for child care. After registration, an emergency and medical information form will be sent to you to be completed and submitted to the child care worker when you first drop your child(ren) off. You will not be able to leave your child(ren) without submitting a completed form(s).
Childcare will be available at Onondaga Community College, Syracuse, NY in the Gordon Student Center.
Times are as follows:
Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - evening
Thursday, May 31, 2018 – morning, afternoon, and evening
Friday, June 1, 2018 - morning, afternoon, and evening
Saturday, June 2, 2018 – morning and afternoon
You may contact David Wood at (315) 364-8756 for any additional childcare information.
Special Needs or Requests: In this section of the form, please list any special requests you have including wheelchair use, other handicapping, or medical conditions of which you want us to be aware.