Meet LIT graduate Ryan Caldwell
From June 27-July 22, Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center held a program called Leaders in Training (LIT) for 16–17-year-old high school students to learn how to become leaders in the camp setting and in ministry. Click here to learn more about the LIT program.
One of them is 16-year-old Ryan Caldwell. Ryan is from Auburn, NY, which is only 12 miles north of Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center. His mom found out about the LIT program and mentioned it to Ryan, who immediately felt that it was something he would love.
The LIT program was Ryan’s first experience of Casowasco and he absolutely loved everything about the setting and all that he learned as an LIT.
Here are some of Ryan’s reflections of the LIT training in her own words:
- We are all so close; all of us LITs. It feels like we are a family.
- Sailing was my favorite part even though I flipped the sailboat. I also loved learning the high ropes course and leading the ACA (All-Camp-Activity).
- I’ve learned so much: knot-tying, sailing, how to speak up for myself and others in a crowd of people. That has always been a challenge for me, but I’m learning that sometimes challenges are good things, I enjoyed kayaking and swimming in the middle of the lake.
- This program has definitely changed my maturity level; it is teaching me what type of person I want to be and things I want to do; I want to be a supportive person who can brighten someone’s day.
- My communication skills have improved. I used to be anti-social. At Casowasco, I was able to be myself, which helped me to be more confident about being myself.
- The setting at Casowasco, near the water, was very calming.
- The people at Casowasco are great. I want to give a shout out to David, Theresa, Courtney, Shannon, Terrance, and Hannah. Hannah coordinated everything and I found that she did a phenomenal job at that.
- As an LIT, you come out a better person.
- I came to this program without any faith; now I have an extraordinary amount of faith.
- I am eager to show people that God works in mysterious ways and that anything is possible with faith.
Ryan plans to keep his faith and grow with it.
Congratulations on your LIT graduation, Ryan.