Outward! ’19 gathers your from around Upper New York
April 16, 2019 / By Kristian J. Snyder
Hundreds of youth and adults from across Upper New York came together in Liverpool for OUTWARD! ’19, held April 5-7 at the Liverpool Holiday Inn. There were over 250 youth and adults who joined the Conference Council on Youth Ministry members who planned and organized the event. There were a total of 25 youth groups, from all 12 districts, in attendance.
This year, we again provided opportunities for youth groups to do hands-on mission work for those in need. Over one-third of the attendees participated in assembling and verifying UMCOR health kits and flood buckets at UNY Mission Central Hub. A smaller group went to the Samaritan Center to assist with their feeding program. Mission work was also available on-site. Several CCYM members led youth and adults in making sandwiches for the Samaritan Center, fleece blankets for a homeless shelter, and cards to be sent to veterans.
In addition to the hands-on mission work, the weekend included 15 workshops on Saturday. The guest preachers at the worship services were Kenny John, Gavin Hill, and Sung Ah Choi, and the juggling group InJest shared their faith in a fun way on Saturday night. The band InsideOut joined us this year for wonderful and exciting worship music for the weekend.
Some Saturday workshops:
- “Digging Deep in Love” led by Dee Finch. In this workshop, participants dug into the meaning behind the love of God and how he shows us his love.
- “Onsite Service” led by Brennan and Jennalyn. This workshop allowed attendees to write cards to those serving our country and also make blankets for the Samaritan Center.
- “Prayer Chapel” led by Jenn King. In this workshop, youth and adults prayed by drawing, coloring, or writing things down.
- “Mingler for Youth” led by Ryan Sivers. In this workshop, youth met and interacted with other youth that they did not previously know.
Some Sunday morning options:
- “Juggling with Jesus” led by InJest. In this workshop, participants learned how to juggle.
- “Labyrinth” led by Tony Hipes. In this workshop, attendees walked around the labyrinth silently and prayed as they walked through and felt the holy spirit.
- “Study & Writing” led by Cory Jones. In this workshop, youth and adults learned how to write devotions and study devotions better.
Each evening was brought to an end by eight late-night options, for youth to take part in and have fun before going to their rooms for the night. The weekend was full of laughter, joy, renewal, music, prayer, spiritual growth, and fun times with other youth, due to the wonderful worship speakers, great missions work, and workshop and late-night options leaders.
*Kristian J. Snyder is a CCYM Member