Upcoming VIM Events
Early Response Team (ERT) Training
Host your own VIM training event. Just provide a classroom and lunch service, either free or paid, your option.
Presented by UMCOR certified trainers.
Contact Donna and Roger Cullen at UNYvim@unyumc.org or 585-398-1282 to request a class in your church or at a District event. This 8-hour class is offered for as few as 12 people. We will help with advertising.
What do UMCOR Early Response Teams Do?
- Provide a Christian presence. This does not sound like a task… and is NOT, however, it can be the MOST important thing a team can do.
- Take steps to prevent further damage to a family’s personal property (stabilize): Tarping, Debris removal, Cleaning out of flooded homes
- Teams may be asked to manage donated materials, gather information or other perform other tasks as deemed necessary by the community.
- Observe survivor’s needs and report these to the local operations.
- Be a part of the caring ministry of “listeners” who will help the survivor being to heal.
What will you learn in an ERT class?
- The Who, What, When, and Why of Early Response Teams
- Working with survivors
- Seven important things to know about disaster spiritual and emotional care
- Organizational structure for the relief stage
- Team safety
- ERT protocols
- Safe sanctuaries
- Equipping an ERT