Upcoming VIM Events
There are no team leader training sessions scheduled at this time. When offered, these trainings are valuable for anyone interested in being either a team leader or a more effective participant. Having a trained team leader not only promotes more effective teamwork, but is essential to obtain team insurance, grants, or scholarships for team members.
UMCOR’s Early Response Teams (ERT) provide a caring Christian presence in the aftermath of disaster. The training equips you to help communities clean up after a natural disaster - flood, tornado, hurricanes. ERTs carry out tasks such as damage assessment, debris removal, placing tarps on homes, and helping to prevent further damage. This training credentials you to enter disaster zones. An ERT badge is issued by UMCOR to applicants over the age of 18 after successful completion of the course and a background check. Badges are valid for 3 years. Individuals need not be United Methodist to take the training.
Liverpool ERT Training
May 11, 2019 at United Methodist Center from 8:30-5 p.m.
Registration closes May 3.
The course fee is $25. Make checks payable to "UNYC" and write "VIM-ERT" in the memo line. Mail checks to UNYVIM, 9 Fox Holw, Ionia, NY 14475.
- Provide a Christian presence. This does not sound like a task… and is NOT, however, it can be the MOST important thing a team can do.
- Take steps to prevent further damage to a family’s personal property (stabilize): Tarping, Debris removal, Cleaning out of flooded homes
- Teams may be asked to manage donated materials, gather information or other perform other tasks as deemed necessary by the community.
- Observe survivor’s needs and report these to the local operations.
- Be a part of the caring ministry of “listeners” who will help the survivor being to heal.
What will you learn in an ERT class?
- The Who, What, When, and Why of Early Response Teams
- Working with survivors
- Seven important things to know about disaster spiritual and emotional care
- Organizational structure for the relief stage
- Team safety
- ERT protocols
- Safe sanctuaries
- Equipping an ERT