New Faith Communities Policy for New Beginnings Fund Grants
Apply now for Year 1 New Beginnings Fund Grant.
The core goal of New Faith Communities in Upper New York is to intentionally reach new people in contextual ways to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Eligibility Criteria: To apply for the Year 1 New Beginnings Fund, ministries must be:
1. A New Ministry: The NFC should represent a newly established ministry initiative
2. Explicitly built to reach new people outside of the existing church
4. Helping new people explore, embrace, and grow in their faith in the Wesleyan way
Types of New Faith Communities (NFCs)
The Year 1 New Beginnings Fund Grant is open to a variety of New Faith Communities (NFCs), all dedicated to the mission of transforming the world through Christ. These include:
- New Church Starts: Launch a brand new church with the potential to charter.
- New Faith Communities/Fresh Expressions: Create smaller, less traditional ministries.
· Church ReStarts: Church Restarts may be considered NFC’s upon completion of
- Ministry audit via your District within the past two years
- NFC Launchpad or NFC coaching in the UNYAC
- Purposeful Ministry Pause of at least four weeks – up to 6 months
- Intentional Revisioning: strategic plan to begin new ministries that will reach new people
- Approval from the Bishop and Cabinet
- Other supporting qualities include: Change of Name, New Location
- Church Restarts are eligible for matching grants only.
To begin your journey, click here to download a New Beginnings Fund Grant Application.
Important Note: If your ministry has previously received New Beginnings Funds, please be aware that you are not eligible as a Year 1 applicant. However, an application for Year 2-4 applicants will be available in early 2024, with a due date of May 1, 2024.
The New Beginnings Fund offers grants of $2,500 or more to intentionally reach new people in contextual ways, making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. This fund, powered by the net proceeds from the sale of discontinued congregation buildings, empowers closed churches to provide a legacy that reaches new people and enables new churches to take root in our communities.
Mark your calendar as the application deadline is Nov. 1, 2023.
For more information, email Rev. Abigail Browka, Director of New Faith Communities, at AbigailBrowka@unyumc.org.