Mike Block to retire as Mission Central HUB director
After nearly four years, Mike Block will retire as the Director of the Upper New York (UNY) Mission Central HUB at the end of this month.
As the first Director of the Mission Central HUB, Mike put in place much of the groundwork that future ministry in the Mission Central HUB will build on. Some highlights of this ministry include:
- Leading the Conference in the response to the Halloween storms in the Mohawk District
- Forming partnerships with other organizations, such as the partnership with Operation Northern Comfort to build and install ramps and blessing boxes
- Leading the way for groups visit the Mission Central HUB at The United Methodist Center in Liverpool to drop off, assemble, or to verify the contents of a variety of kits to aid the United Methodist Committee on Relief
- Providing space for Potato Drops from the Society of St. Andrew
- Leading the Conference response to flooding that caused particular damage at the Casowasco Camp and Retreat Center
- And countless other mission activities
Mike’s supervisor, the Rev. Dr. Aaron M. Bouwens, Director of Vital Congregations for UNY, said, “Thank you to Mike for his service to Christ and the Church. Mike has a passion to see people in the midst of disaster find hope and begin to rebuild their lives. I am sure Mike will continue to serve by coming alongside people in need. May God bless Mike in his retirement.”
In addition to his other ministry highlights, Mike helped lead many opportunities for people to give in support of disaster response. He became well known for the Mission Central HUB videos that he would often star in. Click here for some highlights from the Mission Central HUB videos.