Love, justice, service: The ministries of deaconesses and home missioners
February 22, 2022 / By UNY Communications
Deaconesses and home missioners function through diverse forms of service directed toward the world to make Jesus Christ known in the fullness of his ministry and mission, which mandate that his followers:
- Alleviate suffering
- Eradicate causes of injustice and all that robs life of dignity and worth
- Facilitate the development of full human potential
- Share in building global community through the church universal.
Below are details about a great opportunity coming in March via Zoom to hear from three Deaconesses and their work. Upper New York Deaconess Susan Silhan’s work is in Healing and Wholeness Ministry in the Mountain View District and serves across the Conference and Jurisdictional areas with workshops, retreats, and classes to bring the healing love of Christ out beyond the walls of the church.
Voices from the Field
“Love, Justice, Service: The Ministries of Deaconesses and Home Missioners”
On Tuesday, March 8, 2022, at 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time, hear how three deaconesses are living out their lifetime calls to love, justice and service. An optional breakout session will follow the one-hour program.
- Deaconess Melba McCallum – Partners in Ministry, North Carolina Conference
- Deaconess Susan Silhan – Healing and Wholeness Ministry at Selah, Upper New York Conference
- Deaconess Leah Wandera – Mama’s Smile Health Foundation, Kenya/Ethiopia Conference
The quarterly Voices from the Field events feature leaders sharing their work and life stories, daily challenges, hopes and dreams. This conversation series highlights United Methodist Women initiatives supported by Mission Giving—initiatives that significantly improve the lives of women, children and youth down the block and around the world.
Click here to register.