Introducing the UNY Conference Regional and District Associates
July 1 is always significant in the life of the United Methodist Church in Upper New York—it’s the start date for new appointments. This year, July 1 also marked the start date for Regional and District Associates across Upper New York.
As this new way of ministry together begins, each Region has been given a name:
The Northeast Region includes Adirondack, Albany, Northern Flow, and the Mohawk Districts.
The Southern Tier Region includes Binghamton, Cornerstone, Mountain View, and the Oneonta Districts.
The Lakes Region includes Crossroads, Finger Lakes, Genesee Valley, and the Niagara Frontier Districts.
Upper New York Area Resident Bishop, Mark J. Webb said, “To increase our ability to equip local churches in each District and Region, we have added the role of Regional or District Associates. Our goal is to place our resourcing ability closer to the local church.”
Every Region has been allotted $80,000—amounting to $20,000 per District (a portion of savings from reduction of DSes) to build a team of associates that best reflect the need of the Region/Districts at this time. Each regional team of DSes collaborated to create how they will use these resources and employ associates.
Bishop Webb Said, “After evaluation and time, there may be changes as those in the Region determine best and we have some experience with this model. For example, for now, the Northeast Region decided to use some of their resources for a Regional Associate who will serve the entire region. The Southern Tier Region decided to use their allotted resources to create District Associates in every District (one per District) with one District creating two District Associates. The Lakes Region decided to use their allotted resources to create several District Associates in each District to share the work.”
The Regional/District Associate under the supervision of and directed by the District Superintendent(s) will assist the work of the Superintendent(s) in the following areas:
- Implementation of strategies for providing leadership development of clergy and lay leaders, and training for congregations to become more effective in the living of the mission
- Development and implementation of strategies for mentoring and coaching of pastors and congregations
- Development and implementation of strategies for conflict resolution within congregations
- Development and implementation of strategies related to the work of District Boards of Location and Building, realignment of charges, New Faith Community development, and congregations moving to legacy/closure after initial consultation/conversation between superintendent and local church(es).
- Development of a process for providing pastoral care to clergy and clergy families
The Superintendents and Regional/District Associates will be encouraged to work out of their Spiritual Giftedness as Discipline allows.
The newly appointed Regional and District Associates are as follows:
- Rev. Richard Weihing, Jr. – Regional Associate
- Pastor Wayne Clemens- District Associate
- Ms. Ellen Mall John- District Associate
- Rev. Nancy Stanley- District Associate
- Rev. Ted Anderson – District Associate
- Rev. Diane DiLuzio – District Associate
- Rev. Matthew French – District Associate
- Rev. Marilyn Kasperek – District Associate
- Rev. Mary Ann Kelly – District Associate
- Rev. Patience Kisakye – District Associate
- Rev. Dr. David Kofahl (to begin Fall 2020) – District Associate
- Rev. Jose Rodriguez – District Associate to Hispanic/Latino Ministries
- Rev. Joellyn Tuttle – District Associate
- Rev. David Underwood – District Asscoiate
- Rev. Doug Clark – District Associate
- Rev. George Gallandorm – District Associate
- Ms. Susan Hardy – District Associate
- Mike Kelly – District Associate
- Rev. Tom LeBeau – District Associate
Keep watching the UNY Conference communication platforms for highlights on each Region’s new associates.