Important Announcement Regarding UNY Summer Camp 2020
The current context of the COVID-19 pandemic has prompted a very challenging decision for the Upper New York Camp & Retreat Ministries (UNY CRM) lead team. After consultation with the Upper New York Committee on Camp & Retreat Ministries and after several meetings with experts in the medical and camping fields, the UNY CRM lead team has decided to suspend all UNY-hosted summer programs at each of the CRM sites: Aldersgate, Asbury, Casowasco, Sky Lake, and Skye Farm.
While this is disappointing news for campers, parents, volunteers, and staff (including the lead team), safety is our top priority.
The UNY CRM staff is trained to keep campers safe during normal circumstances, but the challenges posed by COVID-19 are unprecedented and many, including, but not limited to:
- The need for heightened cleaning requirements
- Providing PPE to campers and staff, including masks
- Social distancing requirements, including strict occupancy limits
- There would be difficulty in getting trained medical staff
- Summer staff would likely need to remain onsite for the whole season
- At this time, the health department recommends that those who are high risk not attend camp during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ths would go against UNY CRM's inclusivity commitment.
The camping experience is one of the most powerful ways to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, so this decision was not made lightly. Trust that all UNY CRM sites will put forth their utmost effort to keep connected to their camping communities in the coming months. More information on what each site will be doing to stay connected will come soon.
Those who have already registered and made a payment toward a program will be contacted by their individual site by the end of next week to discuss their options going forward. The three options are:
- Receive a full refund
- Transfer the payment to credit for 2021
- Generously donate part or all your registration/deposit to the site of your choice, helping to sustain UNY CRM through the summer.
While you cannot be at the camp sites physically, know that the UNY CRM lead team is here for you spiritually and emotionally at this time and very much look forward to when they can see you again.
If you have any questions about this news, please contact Betsy Schuessler, Executive Assistant for the UNY CRM team at Betsy@campsandretreats.org.