Celebrate with Africa 360 in April
April is Africa 360 Month, with celebrations all month long throughout the Upper New York Conference that will help raise funds and awareness for Africa 360 – the Upper New York Conference’s holistic plan for health and education initiatives in Africa that benefits Imagine No Malaria and Africa University.
“Hopefully, these ideas inspire other congregations to action,” said Laurel O’Connor, Upper New York’s Africa 360 field coordinator. “Different congregations may host different events, but our mission is the same: Saving lives and educating leaders.”
On April 17, churches across the Conference are invited to celebrate Africa 360 Sunday. UNY churches are asked to share in a unified prayer that day – UMH #456, “For Courage to Do Justice” – to help unite everyone in mind and spirit as the 2016 Annual Conference session approaches. Churches with audio-visual capacity are also invited to show the Africa 360 video to keep focused on the shared mission of Africa 360.
Through Africa 360, the Conference has pledged to raise $1 million for Imagine No Malaria – an organization dedicated to reducing malaria deaths in sub-Saharan Africa through the distribution of insecticide-treated bed nets, communication of life-saving information, improvement of health facilities, and training of a grassroots network of community health workers. Additionally, the Conference has pledged to raise $1 million to fund eight Africa University scholarships to train health and administration specialists who follow the mindset of Africa University and “Learn Here, Live Here, Lead Here.”
The events throughout the month culminate on April 25, when people across the globe will take part in a wide range of activities to mark World Malaria Day. There is more information to come about what will happen in the Upper New York Conference that day with an event called “Take a Bite Out of Malaria.”
Below is a list of Africa 360 Month events planned to date across the Conference:
- April 9 – Africa 360 Benefit Concert – hosted by the Christ United Methodist Church in Moravia, Auburn First UMC, Lansing UMC, Homer UMC, and the Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center – from 4-6 p.m. at the Moravia UMC.
- April 10 – Africa 360 featured at adult forum from 9:15-10 a.m. at the Fayetteville UMC.
- April 16 – Pancake breakfast hosted by the Preston, Plymouth, North Norwich, Broad Street in Norwich, Oxford, McDonough, and Smithville Center UMCs from 7-11 a.m. at the Norwich VFW, 61 E. Main St., Norwich.
- April 15 - The New Messengers, an a capella men's quartet, to perform at McKownville UMC for an Africa University benefit (free will offering) at 7 p.m.
- April 17 – Upper New York Area Resident Bishop Mark J. Webb visits the Saratoga Springs UMC to accept a large gift for Africa University.
- April 24 – Imagine No Malaria celebration at the Trinity Church Grand Island and Pendleton Center UMCs.
- April 25 – “Take a Bite out of Malaria” for World Malaria Day, more information to follow about this Conference-wide event.
Is your church hosting an Africa 360 event in April? Let us know by email to Africa360@unyumc.org.