Anne Horton to serve as Interim Director at Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center
The Upper New York Conference is pleased to announce that Anne Horton will serve as Interim Director of Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center starting March 18, 2020.
The Rev. Bill Gottschalk-Fielding, UNY Director of Connectional Ministries and Executive Assistant to the Bishop said, “Mike Huber led Casowasco for almost two decades. After a long-tenured leader leaves a ministry, it is often a best practice to provide interim leadership to help shepherd the staff through a time of transition. An interim leader will equip staff in their day-to-day work while preparing them to welcome a new site director.”
The Upper New York Area Resident Bishop, Mark J. Webb, said, “I have known Anne for many years and have been blessed by the capable and Christ-centered leadership she offers in all she does. Anne is well-respected by all in the Camp & Retreat Ministries community for her passionate commitment to provide places and spaces for people to encounter the good news of Jesus Christ. Anne will be a great blessing to Upper New York in her service as an interim director for Casowasco.”
Anne has been in ministry for over 40 years. Explaining her call to Camp & Retreat Ministries, Anne said, “I started going to camp in junior high. I loved my experiences so much that when I was of the age to be a counselor, I did. During this time, I felt called to work in the area of Christian Education. I worked in several churches, always taking kids to summer camp, weekend retreats, or festivals. It was during my time in South Carolina, planning, training, and leading sessions of summer camp and day camp, that I felt God's direction moving me more into camping ministry.”
Camping sites that Anne has served include:
- Sumatanga Camp & Conference Center, Gallant, AL (North Alabama) - 10 years - Director of Program(4), Executive Director(6).
- Susquehanna Conference (formerly the Central Pennsylvania Conference) - 10 years as Executive Director for 4 sites (Camp Penn, Greene Hills, Mount Asbury & Wesley Forest).
- North Georgia Camp and Retreat Ministries, Dahlonega, GA (North Georgia) for 2 1/2 years as Director of Business Operations.
Anne loves seeing how God works in the lives of children, youth, and adults through Camp & Retreat Ministries. She is excited to be at Casowasco; she said, “I have heard many good things about Casowasco and the special place it has in the hearts of so many.”
Anne has many skills that she believes will help Casowasco grow into a strong future. She said, “Some of the tasks that I believe I will bring to the position include:
- Staying focused on the mission to grow disciples for Jesus Christ through creation and connections with others.
- Overseeing the overall operations of the site.
- Providing leadership and supervision to both year-round staff and seasonal staff.
- Working collaboratively with the staff as to needs.
- Giving support and guidance to the summer camping program.
- Strengthening the overall budget
- Assisting with training.
- Addressing challenges quickly and effectively.
- Being present to guest, campers, and staff as we provide hospitality to all.
- Working with the Board in discerning where Casowasco needs to be moving and growing for the future.”
Pam Harris of Run River Enterprises knows that Anne will accomplish all she sets out to do; she said, “Anne in well-known in Camp & Retreat center ministry (CRM) circles for both her skill and her deep commitment to CRM. I know Anne to be a generous, faithful, and skilled leader who will serve Casowasco and CRM well in this time of transition. I know (UNY) will be blessed and encouraged by her presence and her gifts.”
Rev. Gottschallk-Fielding agrees with Pam Harris; he said, “Anne Horton was on everyone’s shortlist of interim leaders. She has years of experience and a contagious passion for Camp & Retreat Ministries. I prayed for God to bring us the best and God delivered!”