Paraprofessional Certification in Spiritual Formation
Join us for a continuing education program that is recognized by the United Methodist General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM). This certification program does not require a Bachelor's degree:
- Participants may choose to enrich their Christian journey in spiritual formation by attending all events for training, or
- Participants may choose to formally apply for paraprofessional certification in spiritual formation by registering with the United Methodist Church, through GBHEM.
Beginning in 2018, the program requires attendance at the Growing with God series, sponsored by Upper New York Conference. Individuals who have completed the Tending the Soul two-year training in Spiritual Direction will utilize that experience toward two of the courses. People just beginning the Tending the Soul program will be able to utilize their experience to complete the course series. Additional courses will be offered on-site in Upper New York or on-line.
Participants seeking paraprofessional certification in spiritual formation ministries will complete the requirements of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church through this program. The core competencies include the regular practice of prayer and the spiritual disciplines, as well as the ability to teach others those disciplines, practice of holy conferencing with individuals and small groups, developing Bible studies for faith formation, Wesleyan history and theology and supervised leadership in spiritual formation ministry within the local congregation. Candidates will come to understand the essential link between Christian spiritual formation, congregational life and discipleship for the world.
Please apply by December 1, 2017.
Click here to download the brochure.
Year One, 2018
1) Growing with God
2) Practice of Holy Listening
3) Developing Bible Study for Faith Formation
Year Two, 2019
4) Practicum in Holy Listening and Applications in Congregational Life (fall through spring, individuals will guide small group experiences in spiritual formation and Bible study) and will complete application for Certification.
5) Methodist Heritage and Faith Formation
The design for Certification in Spiritual Formation was developed in 2000 by the seminary. The following faculty are pleased to offer the new Paraprofessional design to encourage spiritual formation ministries. Rev. Dwight H. Judy, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Spiritual Formation. Rev. Margaret Ann Crain, Ed.D., Professor Emeritus of Christian Education. Rev. Jack L. Seymour, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Religious Education.
For More Information & Application
Contact: Rev. Nancy Dibelius, Associate
Director of Spiritual Life for Vital Congregations