New York State Paid Family Leave benefit changes 2021
November 16, 2020 / By Tracy Rickett, Human Resources Generalist
Effective January 1, 2021, there are changes to the New York State Paid Family Leave benefit.
The number of weeks eligible employees can take increases from 10 weeks to 12 weeks of job protected, paid time off to bond with a new child, care for a family member with a serious health condition or assist loved ones when a family member is deployed abroad on active military service.
In 2021, the benefit increases from 60% to 67% of the employee’s average weekly wage, up to a cap of 67% of the Statewide Average Weekly Wage of $1,450.17. The maximum weekly benefit for 2021 is $971.61.
You are required to update your PFL policies reflecting the 2021 changes. You can find model language on the NYS Paid Family Leave website, in the Employer Resources section.
Important Reminders regarding Paid Family Leave
- The Conference will continue to provide coverage under the group disability plan via Guardian and pay the premium.
- Churches should not purchase their own coverage.
- No employee contributions are to be withheld from pay and churches will not be billed.
- Churches are responsible for their own claim administration as they are with disability claims.
- Claim forms are available here.
If you have a payroll vendor that manages payroll, please contact them with this information and verify they will not take deductions in 2021. It is recommended that you check your pay journals the first few months to ensure that they do not add the deductions.
If you have additional questions on the New York State Paid Family Leave benefit, please contact Tracy Rickett, Human Resources Generalist, at (315) 898-2017 or email@example.com. You may also contact Guardian directly at 1-800-268-2525.