Rev. Dr. Sherri Rood
Rev. Dr. Sherri Rood
Cornerstone District Superintendent
Why do you feel called to serve as a delegate to the 2020 General/Jurisdictional Conferences?
Change is on the horizon for The United Methodist Church. Our church is fractured, and many people are wounded and in pain. We are not united, and I do not believe we can continue in our current configuration. To do so, I fear, will only continue to do harm. I feel called to participate in a process that will help The United Methodist Church move toward healing, vitality, and a new structure that will empower us to move forward. I pray that process will take place at General Conference. There are so many things we do well as a denomination. I believe we can continue to support what United Methodists do well, such as UMCOR, and find a way to live out our convictions. I don’t know what the church will look like in the future, but I pray we can find a way to live in harmony with one another as we live the Gospel of Jesus Christ with integrity. This work will require prayer, respect, listening and collaboration. I respectfully offer my gifts in these areas for service as a delegate to General and Jurisdictional Conference and will faithfully prepare for and participate in this significant and holy work.
Please explain the leadership roles (past and present) that you’ve served at the church, district, and Conference levels in addition to any involvement you’ve had in your community.
I have served on a variety of district and conference committees and teams as well as serving as Chair of the NEJ Finance Committee for this quadrennium. I have also served in various leadership capacities in the community. I have a strong performance record of leadership and administration as well as the ability and dedication to work collaboratively. I believe in the Great Commission of Jesus Christ and the United Methodist connection through which we will bring the vision and mission of The United Methodist Church to fruition.
Connectional Leadership Experience:
- UNY Conference Leadership Team
- 2014-2018 Dean of the Upper New York Cabinet
- NEJ Finance and Administration Committee
- Secretary 2012-2016
- Chair 2016-2020
- 2016 Northeastern Jurisdiction Delegate
- 2012 Northeastern Jurisdiction Delegate
- 2012 General Conference Delegate
- 2010-2011 UNY Ordination Coordinator
- UNY Board of Ordained Ministry
- New ACT
- WNY Board of Ordained Ministry
- 2005-2008 Ordination Coordinator
- 2008-2010 Chair
- WNY Covenant Council
- WNY Conference Worship, Music and the Arts Team: Chair
Community Service Experience:
- Professional Consultation Committee for Clinical Pastoral Education, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Northeastern Seminary Advisory Board
- Ethics Committee, Manor Oak Skilled Nursing Facility
- Genesee-Wyoming YMCA Board of Directors