Pastor James Brown: Corn Fritters Pancakes
February 21, 2017 / By Pastor James Brown, Bowmansville UMC & Faith Lancaster UMC
As a pancake lover and cooker for many, many years, I have used this recipe to feed many a fine group of people over the years at many Shrove Tuesday events prior to Ash Wednesday.
Folks do plain pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, but I enjoy making, as I like to say, "Step it up a Notch!" Corn Cakes pancakes as a second choice. Lots of people love them and have wanted the recipe, so here it is!
1 can whole kernel corn
1/2 cup flour
1/2 shredded cheese
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 pat butter
Salt & pepper to taste
- Drain can corn and save liquid.
- Put eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl and beat.
- Add flour and baking powder, whisk until smooth.
- Add corn & corn juice and shredded cheese.
- Stir together, batter should be semi thick. (A cheap trick is to use Bisquick/Jiffy Mix & equal parts of stone ground corn meal & cans of corn, mix & add milk to make batter)
- Put butter and oil in frypan & heat until bubbly over medium heat.
- Drop corn mixture in spoonful lots into frypan.
- When golden turn and cook other side.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve.