Historical Society meeting Sat., June 16, 2018 in Clyde
May 15, 2018 / By Nancy Rutenber
The Upper New York United Methodist Historical Society will host a public meeting Saturday, June 16, 2018 (with Society news and a program) starting at 10:30 a.m. at Clyde United Methodist Church, 84 Sodus St. in Clyde, NY (in Wayne County’s town of Galen). Methodist churches of Wayne County to be explored.
Lunch hosted by the church - offered for a free-will donation – will be meatloaf, herbed potatoes, corn casserole, salad and dessert accompanied by coffee, tea, water, or lemonade. Gluten-free and/or lactose free versions can be prepared. (For example, olive or canola oil used in place of butter for some of the potatoes.) To help the kitchen and yourself, please note a preference as to regular, gluten-free, or lactose-free by emailing email@example.com. Thanks.
The program will be a power point presentation by Loreen Jorgensen (Have Churches Will Travel) on the nearly fifty Methodist churches of Wayne County, plus the “musical chairs churches” in Clyde. A handout will have the location of the churches marked on a map of Wayne County with a key on the back. Loreen is a retired school librarian, volunteers at the Wayne County Museum of History and elsewhere, and had a book published in February on “The First Hundred Churches.”
Optional Sites to Visit after will include access to the former 1833 – 1954 Baptist Church which is now Galen Historical Society (see picture) and the Christ Community Church in Clyde which has the only Tiffany window still in Wayne County.
Location: Clyde, at the intersection of Route 414 & State Route 31 by the banks of the old Erie Canal, is in the Finger Lakes District northeast of Geneva. Originally called ”Blockhouse” for a French trading post and block house, the village later was called “Lauraville.”
To get there From Thruway Exit 41: Get in the left of the two left turn lanes and proceed north for about 8 mi. At the foot of the bridge over the Erie Canal, turn left onto Columbia St., then right onto Sodus St. The church is two blocks north on the left, at the southwest corner of Sodus and Caroline Streets.
From Rt. 31 east bound: In the village, turn left at the stop sign onto Sodus St. and proceed 1 block. The church is on the left, at the southwest corner of Sodus and Caroline Streets. From Rt. 31 westbound: In the village, turn right at the stop sign onto Main St. and immediately left onto North Park St. Turn right onto Sodus St. The church is on the left, at the southwest corner of Sodus and Caroline Streets.
From Rt. 104: Turn onto Rt. 414 south for approx. 10 mi. Inside the Clyde village limits, take the 3rd right (at the Y in the road) onto Sodus St. The Methodist Church is at the 4th intersection, at the southwest corner of Sodus and Caroline Streets. Parking is available in front of the church and behind it.